Karibu Tanzania

We’ve been in Tanzania for almost two weeks now and I can say for most of the group that our experience here has been absolutely amazing. I felt the humidity and musky smell in the air almost instantly when stepping out of the airport. Tanzania, no doubt, has its own distinct feel. Its people, colors, languages, religions are all something I’ve gotten accustomed to and hope to learn more about as this trip goes on. I feel that most Tanzanians that I’ve met here all display a very easy-going and down to earth vibe, and despite the apparent poverty in many parts of the country, the people here are incredible kind and I’ve never felt safer. One of the sayings you will hear most often here is ‘karibu’ meaning welcome! I’ve heard it from young kids and I’ve heard it from the elders, and yes, I do feel welcome.

Mother and daughter walk through a field of coconut trees in Bagamoyo, Tamzania

Class at University of Dar es Salaam is also going really well. We’ve spoken of Nyerere, Tanzania’s first president and pan-African who fought for Tanzania’s independence and the many bumps and trials the country has faced since the pre-colonial era till today. Currently, one of the major issues Tanzania faces deals with the union of Tanganyika (former Tanzania) and and island off its coast called Zanzibar. Thus, both as an opportunity for experiential learning and as a break from class, this weekend, we are currently in Zanzibar.

Sunrise in Dar es Salaam the day we embarked for Zanzibar

Zanzibar has been the most amazing part of this seminar abroad for me so far. The narrow alleyways of Stone Town, the decorated wooden doors, the spices, the food, the children, the night markets, the sandy beaches, and the Arab influence of the place all beat the drums to my heart. I am sitting right by the ocean as I write this and I know it will make me incredibly sad when we have to leave this place. But alas, there is still so much to learn and so much to see. The entire group is very much enjoying our time here, until next time!

The group went for snorkeling on our first day in Zanzibar

TZ Crew in Changuu Island off the coast of Zanzibar

–Rabia Khan